FHC JV Football Holds On to Beat Lowell

FHC JV Football Holds On to Beat Lowell

It seemed like every time sophomore running back Cam Deines touched the ball he was in the end zone.

At one point, it felt as if FHC’s JV football team (6-0) was going to pull away from Lowell (3-3) and win easily. However, the Red Arrows made things interesting in the fourth quarter. Although, their comeback would fall short as the Rangers came out victorious 21-14, the Red Arrows tested the Rangers.

Lowell received a punt late in the fourth quarter and set themselves up with great field position. Play after play, Lowell ran the ball for consecutive four yard carries. The Red Arrows kept pounding the ball until they got inside the red zone. With FHC needing a stop, their defense delivered. After a penalty, Lowell was stuck with a third and long. Lowell attempted a run to the outside, but sophomore outside linebacker Tate Hallock wrapped him up for no gain to force a fourth and long. On fourth down, Lowell’s quarterback dropped back to throw and lobbed up a pass hoping his man would come down with it. The pass was intercepted by sophomore defensive back Chris Sobieck, and the game was sealed.

“The biggest play of the game was probably the interception in the fourth quarter,” Cam said. “We made that big stop on fourth down and sealed the victory.”

Offensively, Cam led the way with over 200 all-purpose yards. He also added two receiving touchdowns. He even had an 80 yard touchdown called back because of a holding penalty. He made plays all night and carried the Rangers to a win. Another major factor on offense was Tate. He delivered a few key blocks to spring Cam and hauled in a 16 yard touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Luke Majick.

“In the first half, we were able to mix the run and the pass,” head coach Ty Hallock said. “It got away from us a little bit in the second half. We also stubbed our own toes, making some mistakes on our reads, blocking assignments, and routes. It all comes down to execution. Early on, we were executing really well, and it helped us get a win.”

Hallock spoke highly of the Lowell football program and knows that they are always a tough opponent. FHC looks to stay unbeaten as they take on Cedar Springs next Thursday.

“Lowell’s just good,” Hallock said. “They don’t do a lot of things that surprise you. They’re going to grind the ball, they’re going to run trap, and they’re going to run their veer play. They have good athletes and Lowell’s to be respected. There’s a reason why coach Dean does what he does and is so well respected here in West Michigan. They’re a great program, so for us it’s a very good win because our guys got it done.”