Girls varsity basketball defeats conference leaders Lowell 59-49

Girls varsity basketball defeats conference leaders Lowell 59-49

Last night against the Red Arrows of Lowell, the Rangers played phenomenal defense and left the gym with a 57-47 victory over the conference leaders.

After winning the tip, the Rangers were unable to convert on the first play of the game. However, a minute later, senior Maddy Smith was able to deny a pass and send it down the court to junior Breanna Probst for two points on the other end. Maddy was able to keep it going with a three on the Ranger’s next possession.

“Honestly everyone played really good today,” head coach Kristina Prinz said. “It was a great team win.”

As the quarter continued, so did the incredibly shooting accuracy from the Rangers. FHC was able to limit Lowell on the offensive end, and let at the end of one 15-6.

At the start of the second quarter, the Ranger defense seemed to be letting up a touch. Nevertheless, they still remained ahead. The spark got reignited by sophomore Claire Baguley on offense and it had a direct effect on the defense.

“We worked really hard on defense the past couple of days, and I think we did a good job of getting a lot of stops.” said Claire, who ended the night with 22 points.

The aggressive defense of the Rangers continued to flourish. They dominated the second and led 30-17 at the break.

“Our defense was awesome,” Prinz said. “We had some great defensive pressure; we were moving as a unit. I was really happy with our team.”

Coming out of the locker room, the Rangers showed no mercy. The half started with FHC getting an easy basket by junior Emma Yoder.

As the quarter continued, both teams started to get more physical. After being down the whole game, Lowell now showed a scrappy, yet effective, defense. Lowell was able to temporarily put a halt on the consistent scoring of the Rangers. This left Lowell down 39-28 at the end of the third.

With five minutes left in the 4th quarter, the Rangers were ahead by seventeen. After converting an and one three-point attempt, the Red Arrows were down 5 with 49 seconds to go.

As the clock winded down, the Rangers were able to regain their composure and end the game with a 57-47 win.
“We played hard the whole game,” Claire said. “We didn’t slack off at all, and we were constantly working to get the win.”