Varsity volleyball defeats Ottawa Hills 3-0

Photo by Tori Macleod

On Thursday night, varsity volleyball took down Ottawa Hills 3-0. This puts the team on a five-game winning streak. So far, they are undefeated in the second round of conferences after going 3-3 in the first round.

“We definitely had some team moments where we knew we had to re-evaluate what we were doing and our atmosphere on and off the court,” head coach Dayle Wood said. “So we had a lot of team bonding. We know we have a chore coming up against Lowell and it’s what we’ve been gearing up for and [a win is what] we’re aiming for. So we knew we had to get our ducks in a row to make sure we could be successful against them.”

With many point runs and excellent energy, the team was able to knock down Ottawa Hills in the first game 25-5. Sophomore Julia Bouma was a powerhouse toward the end of the game with an overpass tip, a block, and another overpass kill that secured the win.

Set two started on a good note for the Rangers with an ace from freshman Morghan Tilton. Ottawa Hills was able to keep it close during the beginning of the set; within 2-3 points for a majority of the time. However, a massive streak began for the Rangers after a kill from sophomore Tatum Otolski. All the points during the 13 point run were scored by either Tatum, freshman Brooklyn Conner, or sophomore Julia Bouma. Tatum had 1 kill and 5 aces, Brooklyn had 3 kills and 1 tip, and Julia had 1 kill during the run alone. Rangers took the set 25-8.

The Rangers got out to a huge 12-0 lead in set three with freshman Sophia Shields, Morghan, Brooklyn, and junior Ellie Ingraham scoring multiple points each. They were able to keep the momentum going and won 25-4 after 4 consecutive aces from sophomore Hannah Bergman.

Tomorrow the Rangers have a very crucial game against Lowell, who is undefeated in the conference.

“I am expecting them to be as tough as they always are,” Wood said. “But I also expect them to come in and think that they are going to win the game and that we’re just going to roll over. [I expect them to think] that we’re not going to give them as much of a challenge as we actually will because we have improved so much this season, and we will give them a run for their money.”