• BREAKING NEWS: Last day of school is 6/7 with no days to be added

• Senior graduation: 5/21 at 7 p.m.

JV baseball continues dominant pitching, improves to 4-0 with 2-1 win over Northview

The JV baseball team got yet another big-time pitching performance on Friday, this time from sophomore Evan Van Artsen. Evan pitched 6 innings, allowed just 1 run, 4 hits and struck out 4 Northview batters to lead the Rangers to a 2-1 victory and a three-game series sweep of the Wildcats.

Unlike their first three games in which it scored a combined 28 runs, the Ranger offense was held in check for the most part on Friday. In the top of the third inning, sophomore Alec Gast roped a base hit to get the Rangers going. After two straight outs, the Wildcats’ defense committed 2 errors that allowed both Alec and fellow sophomore Logan Vanlente to come around and score. Logan and sophomore Sean Macleod both collected 2 hits, as both were able to keep their bats hot early in the season.

Despite walking 5 batters, including hitting three of them, Evan was able to continuously pitch out of pressure situations. With a run already scored in the inning, the Wildcats were threatening for more in the bottom of the fourth with runners on second and third base. Evan was calmly able to strike the next batter out to get out of the jam. The Rangers’ defense was superb, committing just one error; sophomore Jonah Spates contributed to this as he was able to make several spectacular plays at shortstop.

Sophomore Maguire Mahacek entered the game in the 7th inning looking to close the door on the sweep. He absolutely crushed any sense of hope the Wildcats had, as he easily set the three batters he faced down in order, striking one of them out.

With the victory, the Rangers now improve to 4-0 on the young season. Also, FHC has now scored 30 runs through those 4 games. On the other side of the ball, it has allowed opponents to score just 4 runs throughout the young season. The Rangers will be back in action on Monday,  traveling to Cedar Springs for a doubleheader.

Sam Tuori, Sports Reporter

Sam Tuori is a sophomore at FHC and this will be his first year on the sports report. Sam plays on the JV Football team.  He enjoys all things sports...