JV baseball splits with Lowell snapping 5 game losing streak

The Forest Hills Central JV baseball team went into their doubleheader with the Lowell Red Arrows desperate for a win, as it was on a 4 game losing streak.

In game one the Rangers sent freshman Joey Seurnyck to the mound. After a couple of errors and walks, the Red Arrows were able to strike first with a 1-0 lead. After a base hit and a couple of passed balls led to an RBI sac fly, Lowell led 2-0 going into the bottom of the 3rd. In the bottom of the 3rd sophomores, Maguire Mahacek and Nathan Sigg were both able to reach base, and both later came around to score the knot the game up at 2. In the bottom of the 4th, Joey was able to reach base on an error and later came around to score on a base hit by sophomore Alec Gast to give the Rangers a 3-2 lead.

The Red Arrows were able to score 2 runs in both the top of the 5th and 6th inning and the Rangers went 9 up and 9 down in the next 3 innings to drop game one 6-3.

In game two the Rangers got a solid start out of Maguire, who lasted 6 innings, yielding just a few hits, 4 runs, and struck out 6 Red Arrow batters. In the bottom of the 1st, both Maguire and Nathan walked and later came around on a base hit by sophomore Sean Macleod. In the bottom of the 4th, Nathan and Sean were both able to reach base on singles and came around on a base hit by sophomore Isaac Gurley.

In the top of the 6th inning, Lowell was able to string a couple of hits together along with errors, scoring 4 runs to tie the game up. After Sean reached base yet again in the bottom of the 6th, Sophomore Sam Cooper pinch ran for him and Isaac drove him in with another base hit. In the top of the 7th, sophomore Evan Van Artsen shut down the Lowell bats to seal the 5-4 win for the Rangers.

With the victory, the Rangers snapped their 5 game losing streak, and now improve to 7-5. They will be back in action on Wednesday at Lowell for the series-deciding game 3.